Third party liability insurance is now required for speedboats, personal watercrafts and similar vessels
After entry into force of new regulation on May 15 2018, all speedboats with a hull length below 15 metres, personal watercrafts/jet skis and similar vessels must now be covered by a third part liability insurance. If the vessel does not have insurance coverage, you are not allowed to operate it.
Today, new requirements regarding mandatory third party liability insurance, strict liability in case of personal injury and loss of pendant as well as wider options for confiscation of vessels have come to into force.
In April, the Danish parliament passed a bill intended to increase safety at sea. The new rules require you to have a third party liability insurance in cases of injury, loss of pendant or property damage.
If you are covered by an insurance, you are not allowed to operate a speedboat or personal watercraft. Also, you must have a certificate documenting proper insurance coverage.
The mandatory third party liability insurance is introduced to ensure greater certainty of compensation for the injured party when accidents involving speedboats, personal watercrafts and similar vessels occur.
The regulations do not only cover Danish speedboats and personal watercrafts. Foreign vessels that enter Danish waters must also have insurance. If a vessel does not already have the proper insurance, it is possible to purchase short-term insurance.
The new requirements do not only cover personal watercrafts and similar vessels but also speedboats with a hull length below 15 metres. Specifically, the rules include the following elements:
- The third part liability insurance must include compensation in accordance with the Danish merchant shipping act for all damages that involve personal watercrafts and speedboats.
- The third party liability insurance must include compensation up to the limit stated in the Danish merchant shipping act (approximately 27 million DKK for personal injury and 13.5 million for property damage).
- Strict liability covers personal injury and loss of pendant. This will give the injured party the best possible terms as compensation is not dependent upon the specific actions of the vessel operator.
- The options for confiscation of a vessel have been improved, among other things due to reckless behavior at sea. Thus, the consequences for those who put others at risk become more severe.
Information om Danish Maritime Authority
“The Danish Maritime Authority sets the direction for future quality shipping”
Our field of responsibility is based on the shipping industry and its framework conditions, the ship and its crew. In addition, we are responsible for aids to navigation in the waters surrounding Denmark and ashore. In other words, the Danish Maritime Authority has the responsibility for the following:
- The construction, equipment and operation of Danish ships (including safety, terror prevention, navigational regulations, manning, occupational health and environmental protection) as well as port State control of foreign ships calling at Danish ports.
- Ship registration.
- Seafarers’ employment, health and conditions of social security.
- Shipping policy, maritime law as well as industrial policy, both nationally and internationally.
- Tasks related to aids to navigation at sea and ashore (lighthouses and buoys), including ships and repair workshops.
- Navigational information in the form of navigational analyses, warnings, GIS and specialist publications.
- The national pilot authority.
The Danish Maritime Authority consists of the central authority, eight survey offices, including the office in Nuuk, Greenland, as well as the Centre of Maritime Health and Safety on the island of Fanø.
Our responsibility as a government agency applies both to the merchant fleet and the fishing industry. However, the Danish Maritime Authority is not responsible for the industrial policy relating to fishing which is under the auspices of the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Fisheries.
Please observe that the surveillance of Danish waters and of civilian shipping, sovereignty enforcement, the police authority, pollution prevention, environmental surveillance, ice-breaking, etc. are the responsibility of the Ministry of Defence.
The Danish Maritime Authority is a government agency under the Ministry of Business and Growth.
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Danish Maritime Authority
Skriv dig op her og modtag pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Danish Maritime Authority
IMO to pave the way for autonomous ships14.5.2018 13:40 | pressemeddelelse
On May 16, the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) efforts on regulation of autonomous ships will begin with a meeting in the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC 99).
Ship Station License becomes digital19.6.2017 13:51 | pressemeddelelse
The number of administrative burdens imposed on the industry is reduced through digitalisation of the Ship Station License.
Safety analysis provides offshore wind industry with new insight30.3.2017 14:54 | pressemeddelelse
New safety analysis can be used to harmonise safety on board offshore vessels carrying wind turbine technicians. The Danish Maritime Authority is striving to make the IMO develop international standards.
DMA opens up for more historical Danish AIS data23.3.2017 09:00 | pressemeddelelse
Now, the Danish Maritime Authority makes even more historical AIS data available to anyone who may be interested. You can get access to data from 2006 to 2014 and they will be available for the next six months.
Maritime safety regulation must be international17.2.2017 10:28 | pressemeddelelse
This week, experts from all over the world met in London to debate tomorrow's safety standards.
DMA continues to abolish special requirements for Danish shipping31.1.2017 11:04 | pressemeddelelse
A benchmark analysis shows that Denmark has 33 special requirements for ships flying the Danish flag. Four requirements have already been abolished and the benchmark analysis will be used actively to revise or abolish the remaining special requirements.
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum