Takeda Reports FY2017 Full Year Results and Issues FY2018 Guidance
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TOKYO:4502):
Underlying Revenue growth +5.5% led by Takeda's Growth Drivers
- Underlying Revenue grew +5.5%, with Takeda's Growth Drivers (Gastroenterology, Oncology, Neuroscience and Emerging Markets) posting strong underlying revenue growth of +12.8%.
- Broad based revenue performance was led by double digit growth in the U.S. (U.S. +13.5%, Japan -0.2%, Europe & Canada +6.7%, Emerging Markets +2.0%; Japan growth was +7.0% excluding returned portfolio)
- Reported revenue grew +2.2%, with underlying growth (+5.5%) and positive currency impact (+2.5pp), partly offset by the impact of divestitures (-5.8pp).
Stellar EPS growth reflects strong revenue growth and progress of Global Opex Initiative
- Underlying Core Earnings grew +40.2%, with the Core Earnings margin increasing by 420bps due to product mix improvement and strong cost discipline (+280bps gross margin; +160bps from OPEX margin). Reported operating profit was up +55.1%, mainly driven by Core Earnings growth. In FY2017, Takeda booked a large one-time gain of 106.3 billion yen from the sale of Wako; however, higher one-time expenses resulted in total other income/expenses being less favorable than prior year by-27.8 billion yen.
- Underlying Core EPS was up +44.8%, in-line with underlying Core Earnings growth. Reported EPS was 239 yen, an increase of +62.7% from 147 yen in the prior year, benefitting also from a lower tax rate due to re-measurement of deferred tax liabilities as a result of the U.S. tax reform.
Significant pipeline progress leveraging therapeutic area expertise
- 17 New Molecular Entity clinical stage-ups in FY2017, compared with 5 in the same period of the previous year. Important events included European Commission approval of ALOFISEL® (darvadstrocel) in the area of GI, a label update for TRINTELLIX® in neuroscience, and the initiation of Phase 3 for pevonedistat in oncology.
- Further strengthened innovation network with 56 new collaborations with academia and bio-tech/bio-ventures.
Net leverage improved due to continued strong progress on cash flow
- Operating Free Cash Flow was up +52.9% to 242.9 billion yen, higher than the dividend payment for the third consecutive year. Non-core asset sales generated an additional 164.4 billion yen of cash.
- Strong cash generation allowed rapid de-leveraging with the net debt/EBITDA ratio improving from 2.7x in March 2017 to 1.8x in March 2018.
Christophe Weber, President and Chief Executive Officer of Takeda,
"Takeda's transformation is delivering superior results as we execute against our key mid-term priorities of growing the portfolio, strengthening the pipeline, and boosting profitability. In FY2017, our Growth Drivers maintained their strong momentum, which together with disciplined cost management under the Global Opex Initiative resulted in industry-leading revenue and earnings growth. We also made significant progress in R&D, with 17 New Molecular Entity clinical trial stage-ups, and 56 new collaborations to strengthen our innovation network.
The strength of the underlying business means we expect to maintain revenue and earnings growth momentum in FY2018, and I am confident that through strategic focus and superior execution, Takeda will continue to deliver long-term value to patients and shareholders."
Reported Results for FY2017 (April-March)
|(billion yen)||FY2016||FY2017||% Growth vs Prior Year|
|EPS||147 yen||239 yen||+62.7%||+44.8%|
|Core Earnings is calculated by deducting SG&A expenses and R&D expenses from reported Gross Profit. In addition, certain other items that are non-core in nature and significant in value may also be adjusted.|
|Underlying growth compares two periods of financial results on a common basis, showing the ongoing performance of the business excluding the impact of foreign exchange and divestitures.|
|Attributable to the owners of the company.|
FY2018 Management Guidance: Maintaining underlying growth momentum
- Underlying revenue continues to grow despite negative headwinds of -4.4pp that include Velcade decline due to competitor entry (-3.5pp) and portfolio changes (-0.9pp).
- Continued product mix improvement and execution of the Global Opex Initiative will underpin margin improvement. Underlying Core Earnings margin to expand at lower end of the +100-200bps range bringing the 2-year margin expansion to more than 500 basis points.
- Underlying Core Earnings will grow high single digit, despite Velcade decline which negatively impacts Core Earnings growth by over 18 percentage points.
- Annual dividend of 180 yen per share, in-line with Takeda's well-established dividend policy of being strongly committed to shareholder returns with the dividend as a key component.
|Guidance (growth %)|
|Underlying Revenue||Low single digit|
|Underlying Core Earnings||High single digit|
|Underlying Core EPS||Low-teens|
|Annual dividend per share||180 yen|
FY2018 Reported Forecast: Underlying strength lessens impact of significant decline in one-time items
- Underlying revenue growth momentum offset by Forex and divestitures.
- Excluding the negative impact of Forex and divestitures, Core Earnings growth is forecast to be high single digit.
- Reported operating profit is impacted by lower other income (-40.9pp, especially the 106.3 billion yen gain on the sale of Wako in FY2017) and the impact of divestitures (-9.6pp).
|(billion yen)||FY2017 Results||FY2018 Forecast||% change|
|EPS||239 yen||178 yen||-25.7%|
1 US$= 111 yen
1 US$= 108 yen
Takeda is currently in an offer period (as defined in the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers (the “Code”)) with respect to Shire plc. Pursuant to Rule 28 of the Code, statements made regarding Takeda’s guidance for FY2018 (including statements regarding forecasts for FY2018 revenue, Core Earnings, Operating profit, Profit before income taxes, Net profit attributable to owners of the Company, Basic earnings per share, R&D expenses, Amortisation and impairment and other income/expense, Underlying Revenue, Underlying Core Earnings and Underlying Core EPS) constitute a profit forecast for the year ending March 31, 2019 (the “Takeda Profit Forecast”). For additional information regarding the Takeda Profit Forecast and the required statement by its Directors that such profit forecast is valid and has been properly compiled on the basis of the assumptions stated and that the basis of accounting used in consistent with Takeda's accounting policies, please see page 21 of Takeda’s Financial Results (Tanshin) for the Fiscal Year Ended March 31, 2018, dated May 14, 2018.
Raising our objectives for non-core asset disposals by the end of FY2018
- Revised objective is to unlock 190 billion yen of cash by the end of FY2018 from real estate disposals and the sale of securities, increased from 130 billion yen guidance given in May 2017.
For more details on Takeda’s FY2017 results and other financial information please visit https://www.takeda.com/investors/reports/
About Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited is a global, research and development-driven pharmaceutical company committed to bringing better health and a brighter future to patients by translating science into life-changing medicines. Takeda focuses its R&D efforts on oncology, gastroenterology and neuroscience therapeutic areas plus vaccines. Takeda conducts R&D both internally and with partners to stay at the leading edge of innovation. Innovative products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as Takeda’s presence in emerging markets, are currently fueling the growth of Takeda. Approximately 30,000 Takeda employees are committed to improving quality of life for patients, working with Takeda’s partners in health care in more than 70 countries.
For more information, visit https://www.takeda.com/newsroom/ .
This release is not intended to, and does not constitute, represent or form part of any offer, invitation or solicitation of any offer to purchase, otherwise acquire, subscribe for, exchange, sell or otherwise dispose of, any securities or the solicitation of any vote or approval in any jurisdiction. No shares are being offered to the public by means of this release. This release is being given (together with any further information which may be provided to the recipient) on the condition that it is for use by the recipient for information purposes only (and not for the evaluation of any investment, acquisition, disposal or any other transaction). Any failure to comply with these restrictions may constitute a violation of applicable securities laws.
Unless specified otherwise, no statement in this release (including any statement of estimated synergies) is intended as a profit forecast or estimate for any period and no statement in this release should be interpreted to mean that earnings or earnings per share for Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (“Takeda ”) for the current or future financial years would necessarily match or exceed the historical published earnings per share for Takeda.
The companies in which Takeda directly and indirectly owns investments are separate entities. In this release, “Takeda” is sometimes used for convenience where references are made to Takeda and its subsidiaries in general. Likewise, the words “we”, “us” and “our” are also used to refer to subsidiaries in general or to those who work for them. These expressions are also used where no useful purpose is served by identifying the particular company or companies.
This release may contain forward-looking statements, beliefs or opinions regarding Takeda’s future business, future position and results of operations, including estimates, forecasts, targets and plans for Takeda. In particular, this release contains forecasts and management estimates related to the financial and operational performance of Takeda, including statements regarding forecasts for FY2018 revenue, Core Earnings, Operating profit, Profit before income taxes, Net profit attributable to owners of the Company, Basic earnings per share, R&D expenses, Amortisation and impairment and other income/expense. Without limitation, forward looking statements often include the words such as “targets”, “plans”, “believes”, “hopes”, “continues”, “expects”, “aims”, “intends”, “will”, “may”, “should”, “would”, “could” “anticipates”, “estimates”, “projects” or words or terms of similar substance or the negative thereof. Any forward-looking statements in this document are based on the current assumptions and beliefs of Takeda in light of the information currently available to it. Such forward-looking statements do not represent any guarantee by Takeda or its management of future performance and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors, including but not limited to: the economic circumstances surrounding Takeda’s business, including general economic conditions in Japan, the United States and worldwide; competitive pressures and developments; applicable laws and regulations; the success of or failure of product development programs; decisions of regulatory authorities and the timing there of; changes in exchange rates; claims or concerns regarding the safety or efficacy of marketed products or products candidates; and post-merger integration with acquired companies, any of which may cause Takeda’s actual results, performance, achievements or financial position to be materially different from any future results, performance, achievements or financial position expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Neither Takeda nor its management gives any assurances that the expectations expressed in these forward-looking statements will turn out to be correct, and actual results, performance or achievements could materially differ from expectations. Persons receiving this document should not place undue reliance on forward looking statements. Takeda undertakes no obligation to update any of the forward-looking statements contained in this document or any other forward-looking statements it may make. Past performance is not an indicator of future results and the results of Takeda in this document may not be indicative of, and are not an estimate, forecast or projection of Takeda’s future results.
This document contains information about products that may not be available and in all countries, or may be available under different trademarks, for different indications, in different dosages, or in different strengths. Nothing contained herein should be considered a solicitation, promotion or advertisement for any prescription drugs including the ones under development.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
Takashi Okubo, +81-(0)3-3278-2306
Kazumi Kobayashi, +81 (0)3-3278-2095
Information om Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
Skriv dig op her, og modtag pressemeddelelser på e-mail. Indtast din e-mail, klik på abonner, og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte e-mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
ELLIOTT-ADVISORS-(UK)12.12.2018 08:02 | Pressemeddelelse
Elliott Statement on Pernod Ricard
GSMA12.12.2018 08:02 | Pressemeddelelse
Mobile Industry Could Generate $565 Billion in Additional Global GDP by Unlocking the Right 5G Spectrum: GSMA Study
LIBERTEX12.12.2018 07:32 | Pressemeddelelse
Libertex Trading Platform Adds 5 CFDs on Cannabis Stocks
VIFOR-PHARMA-GROUP12.12.2018 07:02 | Pressemeddelelse
Patrick Treanor appointed President of Relypsa and member of the Executive Committee of Vifor Pharma Group
MILREM-ROBOTICS12.12.2018 07:02 | Pressemeddelelse
Milrem Robotics UGVs Successfully Tested by British Troops
CA-ANDERSEN-TAX11.12.2018 23:51 | Pressemeddelelse
Andersen Global fortsætter væksten i Storbritannien med Claritas Tax Limited
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter samt finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum