SpeeDx Pty. Ltd. Raises Additional $15 million in Series B Funding
SpeeDx Pty Ltd, the developer of innovative clinical diagnostics to support improved patient outcomes, today announced it has raised $15 million in additional series B equity investment from U.S.-based Northpond Ventures. This investment comes with a company value uptick of 21.22%.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200211005496/en/
"SpeeDx's molecular diagnostic solutions are having a profound global impact in the areas of STIs, antibiotic resistance markers, and respiratory diseases," said Michael P. Rubin, M.D., Ph.D., Founder and CEO of Northpond Ventures. "We've already seen how their diagnostic solutions for infectious diseases can translate to improved patient management, and Northpond Ventures is thrilled to continue this partnership as SpeeDx grows their global footprint."
In the U.S., SpeeDx is finalizing clinical trials for their flagship product Resistance Plus MG, detecting the STI Mycoplasma genitalium (Mgen) and genetic markers linked to antibiotic resistance of the common macrolide frontline treatment. Resistance rates in Mgen infection are steadily rising around the world, leading to difficult-to-treat infections.1-3 Recommendations for resistance testing to better inform treatment decisions can be found in Mgen management guidelines around the world.4-9 A recent partnership with Cepheid also saw the development of Resistance Plus MG on the GeneXpert® platform (available in Australia, New Zealand, and parts of Europe), as part of their FleXible cartridge program, this product was launched late 2019 and is providing clinicians with timely information to assist management of Mgen infections and adhere to management guidelines.
SpeeDx CFO Bhavin Raval said, "As we rapidly expand and enter into more collaborative partnerships, these additional funds will support the necessary structural and process investments to ensure strong pipeline and service growth throughout this year and beyond."
Pre-clinical testing is wrapping up in preparation for commencing U.S.-based clinical trials for Resistance Plus® GC—a test to determine susceptibility of gonorrhoea infections to ciprofloxacin treatment. This test has been granted Breakthrough Device designation by the FDA which will fast track the registration process. This will provide doctors and patients the option of using ciprofloxacin instead of ceftriaxone, one of the last remaining antibiotics available for multi-drug resistant gonorrhoea infections.
SpeeDx has developed a molecular diagnostics test portfolio, principally for infectious diseases, that provides both identification as well as therapeutic guidance capabilities. The company is based in Australia with offices in Austin and London, and distributors across Europe. SpeeDx specializes in molecular diagnostic solutions that go beyond simple detection to offer comprehensive information for improved patient management. Innovative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) technology has driven market-leading multiplex detection and priming strategies. Product portfolios focus on multiplex diagnostics for sexually transmitted infection (STI), antibiotic resistance markers, and respiratory disease. For more information about SpeeDx please see: https://plexpcr.com
About Northpond Ventures
Northpond Ventures is a leading global science-driven innovation firm dedicated to building and empowering breakthrough companies in life sciences and technology. Since its founding, Northpond Ventures has risen to become among the most-active investors in the life sciences and molecular diagnostics industries and is very active in all disciplines related to healthcare and affiliated industries. Its investments target the greatest scientists, innovators and entrepreneurs in life sciences, diagnostics, AI and machine learning, therapeutics, and affiliated sectors. Northpond has in excess of $500 million of committed capital, with over 20 businesses represented in its portfolio. For more information, please visit: npv.vc .
- Read T R H, Fairley C K, Murray G L, et al . Outcomes of resistance-guided sequential treatment of Mycoplasma genitalium infections: a prospective evaluation, Clinical Infectious Diseases, ciy477, https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciy477
- Getman D, Jiang A, O'Donnell M, Cohen S. 2016. Mycoplasma genitalium prevalence, coinfection, and macrolide antibiotic resistance frequency in a multicenter clinical study cohort in the United States. J Clin Microbiol 54:2278-2283.
- Murray GL, Bradshaw CS, Bissessor M, et al. Increasing Macrolide and Fluoroquinolone Resistance in Mycoplasma genitalium. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2017;23(5):809-812. doi:10.3201/eid2305.161745.
- Jensen et al. 2016 European guideline on Mycoplasma genitalium infections. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2016 Oct;30(10):1650-1656.
- Horner PJ et al. 2016 European guideline on the management of non-gonococcal urethritis. Int J STD AIDS. 2016 Oct;27(11):928-37.
- 2018 BASHH UK national guideline for the management of infection with Mycoplasma genitalium. Available online at: https://www.bashhguidelines.org/media/1198/mg-2018.pdf
- Groupe Infectiologie Dermatologique et Infections Sexuellement GRIDIST and Société Fançaise de Dermatologie – Press Release. Available online at: https://www.sfdermato.org/actualites/communique-commun-gridist-et-sfd.html
- Australian STI Management Guidelines – Mycoplasma genitalium 2018. http://www.sti.guidelines.org.au/sexually-transmissible-infections/mycoplasma-genitalium
About Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
CA-VERIMATRIX21.2.2020 17:37:04 CET | Press release
Verimatrix and Qt Company Join Forces at Embedded World 2020 to Showcase IoT Shielding
COUNTERPOINT-RESEARCH21.2.2020 15:02:10 CET | Press release
Counterpoint Research: Fugro, PTC and Mapbox Lead the Spatial Intelligence Platform Capabilities
PHILIP-MORRIS-INTL21.2.2020 15:00:09 CET | Press release
Prohibition at Any Cost? Philip Morris International Hits Back at Global Campaign of Disinformation
NY-SIMPSON-THACHER/RUPAL21.2.2020 11:02:10 CET | Press release
Preeminent Tax Practitioner Yash Rupal to Join Simpson Thacher in London
TEJ-KOHLI-FOUNDATION21.2.2020 09:02:12 CET | Press release
Tej Kohli Foundation Seeks to Incubate New Projects That Can Eliminate Corneal Blindness By 2035
CA-ADVANCED-BIONICS21.2.2020 03:25:10 CET | Press release
Advanced Bionics Announces Voluntary Field Corrective Action of The HiRes Ultra / Ultra 3D Cochlear Implant
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom