SGI Awarded $27M Systems Contract with the Army Research Laboratory Defense Supercomputing Resource Center
MILPITAS, Calif., 2016-11-01 00:46 CET (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, SGI (NASDAQ:SGI), a global leader in high-performance solutions for compute, data analytics, and data management, announced that the United States Department of Defense (DoD) has selectedSGI® ICE™ XAfor two of its Army Research Laboratory Defense Supercomputing Resource Center (ARL DSRC) systems. The upgrades are part of a technology insertion, known as TI-16, for their High Performance Computing Modernization Program (HPCMP).
HPCMP delivers world-class commercial, high-end, high-performance computational capabilities to DoD’s Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E) community through its five DoD Supercomputing Resource Centers (DSRCs).
With HPC technology, DoD scientists and engineers can utilize physics-based simulations to achieve better understanding of a variety of phenomena affecting national defense. The upgraded systems also allow quick data searches that are generated from field tests across a wide spectrum of military operations. Powerful supercomputers help with data quality, increasing situational awareness, and advancing soldier performance with live and virtual data analytics. The new SGI systems will be leveraged to scale algorithms, increase real-time experimental data processing and methods for live-virtual simulations.
The agreement for ARL DSRC system #1 values at $8.9 million, and ARL DSRC system #2 at $17.6 million.
SGI was also awarded four annual maintenance options over the next four years, allowing DoD to leverage its world-class professional services available 24/7. The work for both systems will be performed at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, with an estimated completion date of April 24, 2021.Army Corps of Engineers, Huntsville, Alabama, has been delegated contracting authority for these agreements.
- DoD has selected SGI to increase supercomputing power with two ARL DSRC systems
- DoD’s investment in supercomputers helps with data quality, increasing situational awareness, and advancing soldier performance with live and virtual data analytics; it also allows DoD scientists and engineers to achieve a better understanding of a variety of phenomena affecting national defense
- The upgraded SGI systems will help DoD scale algorithms, increase real-time experimental data processing and methods for live-virtual simulations
- ARL DSRC system #1 will deploySGI® ICE™ XAwith quad node blade and E-Cell technology, utilizing the 22-core Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2699 v4 to achieve peak compute power
- ARL DSRC system #1 will be comprised of 33,088 compute cores offering 1.16 Petaflops capability, a Mellanox Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) as a 1:1 non-blocking Fat-Tree with 3.4 PB usable storage based onSGI InfiniteStorage 5600itechnology
- ARL DSRC system #2 will deploySGI® ICE™ XAcomprised of 73,920 Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2698 v4 compute cores,offering 2.6 Petaflops capability, a Mellanox Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)-based 1:1 non-blocking Fat-Tree and 11.8 PB usable storage based onSGI InfiniteStorage 5600itechnology
"We’re excited to partner with SGI for our TI-16 DoD program, and have full confidence in the system’s ability to provide excellent performance," said Dr. Raju Namburu, director of ARL DSRC. “Choosing the right HPC partners is crucial, as we rely on supercomputing and large-scale analytics and predictive sciences to provide the competitive edge we need to maintain our position as the nation’s premier laboratory for land forces.”
"We believe that the two SGI systems will bring a unique capability to solve DoD's most challenging problems," said Thomas Kendall, technical director of ARL DSRC. "The combination of a non-blocking, fat-tree topology, based on the recently available 100 Gbps EDR technology and the newest server CPU technology will enable a wide range of applications to consistently achieve high levels of performance.”
"DoD’s annual, recurring investment in HPC is a testament to its belief in the power and strategic value of supercomputing,” said Jorge Titinger, president and CEO, SGI. “Expanding our partnership with ARL DSCR is the result of our record of exceptional HPC performance with previous DoD systems. We have had a healthy long-standing relationship with HPCMP over the last two decades, and we remain committed to delivering to DoD new innovative technology and the highest level of service and management. We look forward to continuing our partnership with one of the most important institutions in our nation.”
- Army Research Labs chooses @SGI_Corp #HPC system for latest HPCMP deployment @INTEL #supercomputerhttp://bit.ly/2e5Qtps
- ARL uses @SGI_Corp #supercomputer to scale algorithms increase real-time experimental data processing and methods for live-virtual simulations #HPChttp://bit.ly/2e5Qtps
SGI is a global leader in high-performance solutions for compute, data analytics, and data management that enable customers to accelerate time to discovery, innovation, and profitability. Visit sgi.com (sgi.com/) for more information.
© 2016 Silicon Graphics International Corp. All rights reserved. SGI and the SGI logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Silicon Graphics International Corp. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Intel and Xeon are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation. All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies.
DoD selects SGI systems with the upgrade of its Army Research Laboratory high performance computing technology
Information om Nasdaq OMX
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Nasdaq OMX
Skrive dig op her og du vil løbende modtage pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Nasdaq OMX
Excel Dryer Inc.22.2.2018 16:01 | pressemeddelelse
Leading the industry: Excel Dryer is the first hand dryer manufacturer to publish third-party, verified Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs)
Magna International Inc.22.2.2018 11:02 | pressemeddelelse
Magna Announces Fourth Quarter and 2017 Results and Raises Quarterly Cash Dividend by 20%
Percona22.2.2018 09:02 | pressemeddelelse
Percona Unveils Full Conference Session Schedule for the Annual Percona Live Open Source Database Conference 2018
Taconic Biosciences21.2.2018 19:15 | pressemeddelelse
Taconic Biosciences Announces the Formation of Scientific Advisory Board
TrueCommerce21.2.2018 16:01 | pressemeddelelse
TrueCommerce Dynamics 365 Solution Featured on Microsoft AppSource
Cisco21.2.2018 14:01 | pressemeddelelse
Cisco 2018 Annual Cybersecurity Report Reveals Security Leaders Rely on and Invest in Automation, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Defend Against Threats
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum