Nagaoka University of Technology Selects SGI to Deliver Advanced Information Processing for Students and Researchers
New System Delivers a Tenfold Performance Increase to Meet the University's Growing Computing Demands
MILPITAS, CA and TOKYO, JAPAN--(Marketwired - Jan 26, 2016) - SGI Japan, Ltd. part of Silicon Graphics International Corp., SGI
Founded in 1976, the Nagaoka University of Technology is one of only two national Universities of Technology in Japan. Since introducing an educational HPC system in 1978, the Information Processing Center has provided students with access to computer systems for various research projects, including applications of formula manipulation and numerical analytics.
In recent years, the demands placed on data and information processing has experienced rapid growth, putting strain on the university's current system, as applications continued to expand in size and complexity. To address this challenge, the university selected the SGI UV server family, significantly improving both performance and capacity for its students.
SGI will also provide a web browser-based and custom developed interface that enables users to submit jobs, check statuses, and obtain results in a batch processing system. The interface improves ease of use and increase productivity over traditional command input. The system can be used by students with even moderate level programming skills and technological levels, making it a great choice for undergraduate students receiving general education and its doctoral students conducting advanced research.
- Nagaoka University of Technology selects SGI to deliver advanced information processing for researchers for its next education and research integrated HPC system, a tenfold performance increase over the previous system.
- The demands placed on data and information processing has experienced rapid growth, putting strain on the university's current system, as applications continued to expand in size and complexity. The SGI UV server family will help the university's students significantly improve both performance and capacity.
To address the university's increasing demand for data and information processing their new HPC system will include:
- The SGI UV 300 and SGI UV 30EX , shared memory servers running as single system images (SSIs) on a single OS. The SGI UV technology enables delivery of large core count platforms to support research and learning of advanced multi-processor parallel computing without the management complexity of traditional scale out cluster-based solutions.
- The SGI UV 300 server is designed for data intensive, I/O heavy workloads, enabling it to support a diverse range of research projects and applications.
- It will provide a theoretical peak performance of more than ten times the power of the previous system.
- Key to the SGI UV 300 performance is SGI's unique leading cache coherent NUMAlink® 7 interconnect technology that enables a high bandwidth, low latency "all-to-all" communication between the Intel® Xeon® E7 processor.
- It uses all flash storage to eliminate the I/O bottleneck that often occurs in high-speed processing.
- SGI Rackable servers including SGI InfiniteStorage 5600.
- Web browser-based interface custom developed by SGI.
"In today's environment, eco-friendly, effective manufacturing is desired, and more advanced large-scale simulations are essential for the development of new technologies," said Professor Masahiro Nakagawa, head of information processing center, Nagaoka University of Technology. "At our university, which aims at the foundation of sciences based on technologies, it is important that our high-performance compute system replicate real-world environments. The newly introduced SGI HPC system with increased performance will benefit our students by accelerating their time to discovery."
"SGI's production supercomputers provide a unique tool for research universities addressing a wide range of research subjects," said Gabriel Broner, vice president and general manager of high-performance computing, SGI. "We are happy to be partnering with Nagaoka University and supporting them in pushing the boundaries of knowledge in their fields of study."
- New @sgi_corp Nagaoka Univ. HPC system will provide theoretical peak performance of >10x the power of previous system #HPC
- New Nagaoka University of Technology @sgi_corp HPC system will deliver a 10x perf. increase to meet growing demands #HPC
- Nagaoka University of Technology selects SGI to deliver advanced information processing for researchers #HPC #HPCMatters @sgi_corp
- @sgi_corp UV server family will help Nagaoka University of Technology improve both performance and capacity with a new HPC system. #HPC
SGI is a global leader in high-performance solutions for compute, data analytics and data management that enable customers to accelerate time to discovery, innovation, and profitability. Visit sgi.com (sgi.com/) for more information.
© 2016 Silicon Graphics International Corp. All rights reserved. SGI, the SGI logo, NUMAlink, Rackable and UV are trademarks or registered trademarks of Silicon Graphics International Corp. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Intel and Xeon are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation. All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies.
Information om Marketwired
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Marketwired
Ved at skrive dig op her, vil du modtage pressemeddelelser på mail når de udsendes. Indtast din mail og følg instruktionerne. Det er ligeså let at melde sig fra igen.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Marketwired
ShoCard20.9.2017 15:01 | pressemeddelelse
New Creditinfo App and Services Utilize Blockchain-Based ShoCard Identity Platform to Maximize User Privacy while Authenticating Credit Report Data
Goodyear20.9.2017 10:04 | pressemeddelelse
Goodyear to Acquire Ventech Systems from Grenzebach Maschinenbau
Equities First Holdings, LLC20.9.2017 09:46 | pressemeddelelse
Equities First Holdings, LLC Repatriates IQE plc Transaction, Returns All Underlying Collateral To Borrower
Integrated Device Technology, Inc.19.9.2017 15:08 | pressemeddelelse
IDT Announces Microwave and Millimeter Wave Products, Accelerating Growth in Active Antenna Systems
Yidan Prize Foundation19.9.2017 14:12 | pressemeddelelse
The World's Biggest Education Prize Announces Inaugural Laureates
Jumio Corp.19.9.2017 14:02 | pressemeddelelse
Jumio Named "Entrepreneurial Company of the Year" in the Biometric Security Solution Industry by Frost & Sullivan
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum