Panasonic to Commercialize Polybutylene Terephthalate (PBT) Molding Compounds for Laser Welding
Panasonic Corporation today announced that it will start mass production of polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) molding compounds for laser welding in March, 2016, a move that will contribute to the enhancement of long-term reliability and the flexibility of design of automotive switches and sensors.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160212005223/en/
Currently, processing methods including sealing with packings and bolts, bonding with adhesive agents, as well as ultrasonic welding, are used for the production of automotive sensors. Instead of such processing methods, laser welding has recently attracted the industry’s attention as its high welding strength can shorten the bonding time and increase productivity. However, plastic molding compounds generally used for laser welding have had low laser transmittance, leading to problems with welding strength and waterproof properties. In order to solve these problems, we have commercialized the PBT molding compounds with the industry’s highest*1 laser transmittance; they excel in their welding strength and waterproof properties. With these compounds, it is possible to use laser welding instead of the current processing methods, and therefore long-term reliability and the flexibility of design can be enhanced when they are applied to automotive components.
These molding compounds have the following features:
1. The industry’s highest*1 laser transmittance, which enables a high welding strength and contributes to the long-term reliability of automotive components.
- Laser transmittance: 72 % (52 % for our conventional products*2 )
- No air leak was found under the air pressure (3 atm) in water after a high temperature high humidity storage test*3 or a temperature cycling test*4 .
2. Stable quality and performance are ensured with low warpage of molded parts, and this contributes to the enhancement of the flexibility of design of automotive components.
- Warpage: 0.5 mm or less (2.3 mm for our conventional products*2 , 1/4 of the conventional products)
3. Excellent hydrolysis resistance enables the water resistance required for small to large automotive components.
- High strength retention rate after a high temperature high humidity storage test*3 : 94% (50% for our conventional products*2 )
*1: As of February 12, 2016 for PBT molding materials for laser welding
(according to Panasonic data)
*2: Our conventional PBT molding compounds
*3: After 1,000 hours under the temperature of 85℃ and humidity of 85%
*4: Temperature range: -40℃–100℃
The molding compounds will be exhibited at the followings shows:
- The LED Show (March 1–3, 2016, Santa Clara, CA)
- Highly-Functional Material World 2016 (April 6–8, 2016, Tokyo Big Sight)
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, enterprise solutions, and device industries. Since its founding in 1918, the company has expanded globally and now operates 468 subsidiaries and 94 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of 7.715 trillion yen for the year ended March 31, 2015. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global .
Public Relations Department
Tel: +81-(0)3-3574-5664 Fax: +81-(0)3-3574-5699
Panasonic News Bureau
Tel: +81-(0)3-3542-6205 Fax: +81-(0)3-3542-9018
Information om Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
Skrive dig op her og du vil løbende modtage pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
AZ-LIMELIGHT-NETWORKS18.1.2018 13:32 | pressemeddelelse
Limelight Networks and Tencent Cloud to Provide Seamless Global Content Delivery
NY-BLACKROCK18.1.2018 13:02 | pressemeddelelse
Global Institutional Investors Brace for Market Risks and Pursue an Active Approach in 2018 – BlackRock Study
GA-AGCO18.1.2018 12:02 | pressemeddelelse
AGCO iVenture Summit Calls for Venture Capital to Invest into the Future of Agriculture
CA-OPENGATE-CAPITAL18.1.2018 09:02 | pressemeddelelse
OpenGate Capital Realizes Legacy Investment in Benvic
UAE-NCMS18.1.2018 08:02 | pressemeddelelse
Research Groups from the USA, China and Russia Awarded for the UAE Rain Enhancement Program USD$5 Million Grant
INOTREM18.1.2018 08:02 | pressemeddelelse
Martin Koch Joins Inotrem as Chief Operating Officer
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum