Nearly $150 Million in Cash Won During WSOP Online Series 2020
The international WSOP Online 2020 tournament series, played on GGPoker, concluded today. A number of long-standing poker records were smashed over the course of the 54 event series--including the largest prize pool ever for an online tournament.
Highlights of WSOP Online 2020 include:
● The largest online poker tournament ever : $27,559,500 in Event #77: WSOP Online $5K Main Event
● The biggest online poker tournament prize ever awarded : $3,904,685 to Stoyan Madanzhiev, winner of Event 77: WSOP Online $5K Main Event
● The most entries ever for a WSOP tournament : 44,576 in Event #71: BIG 50
● Total prizes paid across all 54 tournaments : $147,789,550 (average prize pool: $2,736,844)
● Total number of WSOP Online 2020 tournament entries : 239,754
● Number of nationalities represented across the entire WSOP Online player base : 166
● Amount raised for Caesars Cares charity : $354,756 ($257,853 raised by the worldwide poker community, $96,903 donated by GGPoker)
● Number of tournaments with a prize pool of at least $1,000,000 : 45
● Number of tournaments with a prize pool of at least $5,000,000 : 5
● Number of tournaments with a prize pool of at least $10,000,000 : 2
● Number of tournaments with more than 10,000 entries: 5
● Multiple event winners : Alex Stasiak (winner of Events #33 and 52)
● Multiple final tables played : 39 players made multiple final tables, with five players making three final tables each (Michael Watson, Paul Teoh, Ajay Chabra, Bruno Albuquerque and Connor Drinan)
● Female event winners: 3 (Kristen Bicknell - Event # 44, Thi Truong - Event #74 and Melika Razavi - Event #82)
● Number of players that cashed more than 10 times across all 54 events : 281
● Number of players that won at least $100,000 in cash : 203
The flagship World Series of Poker (WSOP) live poker tournament in Las Vegas was postponed due to the public health emergency and as a result, an online series of events took place at GGPoker from July 19 through September 6. In total, 54 WSOP bracelets were claimed in GGPoker’s WSOP Online 2020 series. The tournaments marked the first time that players located outside the U.S. were able to compete for official WSOP bracelets online.
“Obviously the events of 2020 have been unprecedented, and hosting the WSOP Online series at GGPoker wasn’t in our plans at the start of the year,” said Ty Stewart, Executive Director of the World Series of Poker. “But going online has been a wonderful experience, with tens of thousands of new players all over the world able to experience some of WSOP magic that they might have been otherwise unable to - we’re delighted that the series has been such a resounding success!”
The WSOP Online 2020 series was extensively covered in the media, with tournament action regularly broadcast on GGPoker.TV and Poker Central, and tournament reports published on PokerNews and elsewhere.
“For 50 years, the WSOP has been the gold standard in the industry,” said Steve Preiss, Head of Poker Operations at GGPoker. “By introducing features like SnapCam and day 2 staking, GGPoker’s entire team worked tirelessly to bring our players a fun, unique experience just like they’d expect at the live WSOP.”
The WSOP Online 2020 Main Event was won by Bulgarian-native Stoyan Madanzhiev, who claimed a record-setting $3.9M prize. Other event winners included GGPoker ambassador Fedor Holz and well-known poker players Juha Helppi, Roberto Romanello, Kristen Bicknell, Daniel Dvoress, Eoghan O’Dea, David Peters,Christian Rudolph. Notable players that participated in WSOP events included soccer superstar Neymar, former world champion boxers Riddick Bowe & Amir Khan, tennis legend Boris Becker, Australian cricket player Shane Warne, mixed martial artists Elias Theodorou & Patrick Côté and former elite soccer player Andriy Shevchenko.
“I’m personally very proud to be part of the effort that brought such a special WSOP series to the entire world,” said GGPoker ambassador, Daniel Negreanu. “The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, and we even got to break a lot of poker records along the way!”
About GGPoker : GGPoker is one of the world’s leading online poker rooms, with a growing global player base. It offers a range of innovative games and features such as the patented Rush & Cash poker, All-In or Fold, Spin & Gold, integrated staking platform, SnapCam video messaging, the ability to squeeze your hole cards, PokerCraft, and Smart HUD, all designed to enhance gaming experiences and make poker more fun than ever.
About the World Series of Poker
The World Series of Poker® is the largest, richest and most prestigious gaming event in the world, having awarded more than $3.29 billion in prize money and the prestigious gold bracelet, globally recognized as the sport’s top prize. Featuring a comprehensive slate of tournaments in every major poker variation, the WSOP is poker’s longest-running tournament in the world, dating back to 1970. In 2019, the event attracted 187,298 entrants from 118 different countries to the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas and awarded more than $293 million in prize money. In addition, the WSOP has formed groundbreaking alliances in broadcasting, digital media and corporate sponsorships, while successfully expanding the brand internationally with the advent of WSOP Europe in 2007 and the WSOP Asia-Pacific in 2013 and the WSOP International Circuit Series in 2015. For more information on the WSOP, please visit www.wsop.com .
About Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
SERVIER16.1.2021 22:17:39 CET | Press release
Servier announce updated overall survival results of exploratory TASCO1 phase II study of LONSURF® + bevacizumab in a first-line setting for patients with unresectable mCRC non-eligible for intensive therapy
CA-ANDERSEN-GLOBAL15.1.2021 11:01:39 CET | Pressemeddelelse
Andersen Global træder ind i Sverige i samarbejde med Unum Tax
H.I.G.-CAPITAL15.1.2021 09:02:41 CET | Press release
H.I.G. Realty Invests in Production Studios & Content Hub in Madrid
EUROFINS15.1.2021 07:32:43 CET | Press release
Eurofins, the global leader in analytical testing, expands worldwide face mask testing & certification capabilities
IPSEN15.1.2021 07:02:42 CET | Press release
TOXINS 2021: New analyses of pivotal Phase III trial data highlight long duration of response for Dysport® (abobotulinumtoxinA) in five therapeutic indications
CA-VELODYNE-LIDAR14.1.2021 22:00:32 CET | Press release
Velodyne Lidar Commends NHTSA Plan to Update NCAP
MA-VERISTAT14.1.2021 19:17:36 CET | Press release
Veristat Supported Marketing Applications for 10% of All FDA Novel Drug Approvals in 2020
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom