Biogen Joins in Celebration of World Hemophilia Day
Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) is proud to support the World Federation of Hemophilia (WFH) and the global hemophilia community in recognizing World Hemophilia Day which raises awareness for and supports individuals living with inherited bleeding disorders. Biogen is advancing the WFH World Hemophilia Day mission through the development of innovative therapies, disease education, and by increasing access to clotting factor in emerging markets where there is critical need.
“Biogen shares the World Federation of Hemophilia’s vision of quality and equitable care for all. We work every day in the labs, and with the bleeding disorders community to bring our expertise in hemophilia and our passion for innovation to meaningfully improve the lives of patients,” said Paula Cobb, SVP, Rare Disease Group at Biogen.
As part of the largest donation of its kind, Biogen and its collaborator Swedish Orphan Biovitrum (Sobi) recently began delivering up to 500 million international units (IUs) of clotting factor to people with hemophilia in the developing world through WFH. This endeavor, which includes supporting necessary infrastructure and supply chain needs, is intended to allow the WFH to dramatically expand its Humanitarian Aid Program. This initiative is part of a multi-year commitment to donate up to 1 billion IUs of hemophilia therapy for humanitarian use.
On the days surrounding World Hemophilia Day, which is honored annually on April 17, Biogen will join with the WFH and local advocacy organizations to drive a number of activities across the U.S., with the aim of raising awareness and encouraging ongoing support for the hemophilia community. This year, Biogen will:
- Collaborate with hemophilia advocacy groups to light up in red 14 major structures in U.S. cities, including The Helmsley Building in New York City; Zakim Bridge, Prudential Tower and South Station in Boston; The Wrigley Building in Chicago; Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.; Los Angeles City Hall; Pacific Science Center in Seattle; and The Monarch in Austin, Texas, to name a few; and
- Work with U.S. advocacy groups to co-host the ‘Factor Factory Challenge:’ family-friendly community events where participants will build novel contraptions showcasing the blood-clotting cascade; and
- Share messages of support through social media; Biogen will donate to the WFH $5 per “share” and $1 per “like” of designated posts on Biogen’s CoRe Facebook and @Biogen channels during the week of WHD, up to a maximum of $10,000.
“World Hemophilia Day is a time for us to come together as a community to support and advocate for each other,” said Val Bias, chief executive officer of the National Hemophilia Foundation. “Whether through unique community activities, committing to humanitarian aid for developing countries, or other initiatives to raise awareness of bleeding disorders -- this day provides an opportunity for communities and companies around the world to work together to change the future of hemophilia.”
To learn more about hemophilia and how you can support the global community, visit www.wfh.org . To join Biogen in celebrating World Hemophilia Day, visit Facebook.com/BiogenHemophiliaCoRes and Twitter.com/BiogenHemCoRes .
About Hemophilia A and B
Hemophilia is a rare, genetic disorder in which the ability of a person's blood to clot is impaired. Hemophilia A occurs in about one in 5,000 male births annually, and more rarely in females, affecting about 16,000 people in the United States. Hemophilia B occurs in about one in 25,000 male births annually, and more rarely in females, affecting about 4,000 people in the United States. Worldwide, it is estimated that more than 400,000 people are living with hemophilia.
People with hemophilia A or B experience prolonged bleeding episodes that can cause pain, irreversible joint damage and life-threatening hemorrhages. Prophylactic infusions of factor VIII or IX can temporarily replace the missing clotting factors that are needed to control bleeding and prevent new bleeding episodes.2 The Medical and Scientific Advisory Council of the National Hemophilia Foundation recommends prophylaxis as the optimal therapy for people with severe hemophilia A or B.3
Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological, autoimmune and rare diseases. Founded in 1978, Biogen is one of the world’s oldest independent biotechnology companies and patients worldwide benefit from its leading multiple sclerosis and innovative hemophilia therapies. For more information, please visit www.biogen.com . Follow us on Twitter .
1. World Federation of Hemophilia. The Clotting Process. Updated January 2014. Available at: http://www.wfh.org/en/page.aspx?pid=635 . Accessed on April 13, 2016.
2. Hemophilia Federation of America. What is Hemophilia? Available at: http://www.hemophiliafed.org/bleeding-disorders/hemophilia/treatment/ . Accessed on April 13, 2016
3. Hemophilia Federation of America. MASAC Recommendation Concerning Prophylaxis. Available at: https://www.hemophilia.org/Researchers-Healthcare-Providers/Medical-and-Scientific-Advisory-Council-MASAC/MASAC-Recommendations/MASAC-Recommendation-Concerning-Prophylaxis . Accessed on April 13, 2016.
Information om Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
Skrive dig op her og du vil løbende modtage pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
TAN-DELTA23.11.2017 14:40 | pressemeddelelse
Tan Delta: New Oil Condition Monitoring Kit for Gas Engine Operators Reduces Daily Operating Costs, Improves Equipment Efficiency and Extends Equipment Life.
INSTITUT-CURIE23.11.2017 14:02 | pressemeddelelse
Making Institut Curie a Reference for Technology Transfer in Oncology
WEALTH-DYNAMIX23.11.2017 09:02 | pressemeddelelse
Wealth Dynamix (WDX) Ranks No.18 in the 2017 Tech Track 100 by the Sunday Times and 19th Fastest Growing Technology Company in the UK in the 2017 Deloitte Technology Fast 50
MOBIDIAG-LTD23.11.2017 08:02 | pressemeddelelse
Mobidiag Signs Agreement with Interlux for the Distribution of Amplidiag® Diagnostic Tests and Instruments in Estonia
OCP-S.A.22.11.2017 18:01 | pressemeddelelse
OCP Announces Date of 2017 Third Quarter and Nine Month Results
TATA-MOTORS22.11.2017 15:48 | pressemeddelelse
Tata Motors Charts Out 'Connecting Aspirations' As Its New Corporate Brand Identity in Global Markets
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum