With $200M+ Investment Led by PSG, Backlight Announces Company Launch and Five Media Tech Acquisitions
Backlight, a media technology company, today announced its company launch and the strategic acquisitions of five innovative and fast-growing media software businesses: ftrack, iconik, Celtx, Wildmoka, and Zype. Backed by a $200M+ investment led by PSG, a leading growth equity firm partnering with middle-market software and technology-enabled services companies to help accelerate their growth, Backlight’s mission is to serve media, entertainment, and video-forward customers with cloud-based solutions that dramatically improve every step of the media content lifecycle. The investment also intends to support Backlight’s pursuit of additional add-on acquisitions of technology platforms that serve the media content lifecycle.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220412005463/en/
“I believe the explosion and democratization of content creation, combined with the incredible growth and fragmentation of consumption, have created massive complexity and new opportunities for creatives and content owners,” said Ben Kaplan, president and CEO of Backlight. “The market is demanding innovative, flexible, cloud-based solutions to modernize media workflows. With five incredible business units, each led by visionary CEOs delivering compelling, differentiated solutions, Backlight is well positioned to be a trusted partner for customers with mission-critical creative processes and video pipelines.”
Exceptional visual storytelling is created with the best possible tools and solutions. Backlight is supercharging its business units with resources and investment in talent, product development, innovation and infrastructure that will help their customers create the next great generation of content experiences for audiences.
Backlight Business Units:
- ftrack is the creator of ftrack Studio, cineSync, and ftrack Review, the Emmy and Academy Award-winning production tracking, interactive media review, and team collaboration platforms for the creative industries. ftrack’s solutions are designed for producers, supervisors, artists, and pipeline developers to collaborate with anyone, anywhere.
- iconik is a cloud-native, SaaS media management solution that is designed for users to share files from any storage, collaborate on video, and enrich media with AI for high searchability—all with great ease and the ability to scale to serve solo creators or large global teams.
- Celtx is an award-winning all-in-one solution for writing, planning, and managing media production that is used by millions worldwide. Celtx provides pre-production planning software, including scriptwriting, storyboarding, shot-planning, and budgeting, to in-house production teams, agencies, film schools and universities, game studios, and media & entertainment companies.
- Wildmoka is a leading platform for the creation of live and near-live content in Sports, News, and Entertainment. It has won several awards for its AutoReZone technology, which helps broadcasters provide a mobile-first experience. Wildmoka’s cloud-native Digital Media Factory aims to empower broadcasters and rights owners to produce and deliver content from any source, to any destination, in any format, at speed, and at scale.
- Zype’s award winning technology provides the infrastructure for digital video with a cloud-based platform to manage and distribute enterprise-grade video across the web, mobile, TV, and social media. Offering both developer-friendly tools such as customizable APIs as well as turnkey solutions for OTT apps and linear/FAST channels, Zype’s SaaS solutions enable video creators or distributors to quickly build, launch, and manage superior video products at scale.
“There is a large market opportunity to improve the way content producers, owners and distributors create value, starting with the media and entertainment industry but extending to any enterprise investing in rich media and video,” said Matt Stone, managing director at PSG. “Our investment in Backlight reflects our conviction in the market, the team, and a vision of a modern media production lifecycle, from ideation to monetization.”
Backlight is a media technology company that improves video content ideation, production, post production and distribution. Launched in 2022 with funding from PSG, Backlight acquired media software businesses ftrack, Celtx, iconik, Wildmoka and Zype. Video-forward organizations utilize Backlight to solve their mission-critical business and operational challenges. Visit www.backlight.co for more information.
PSG is a growth equity firm that partners with software and technology-enabled services companies to help them navigate transformational growth, capitalize on strategic opportunities and build strong teams. Having backed more than 95 companies and facilitated over 375 add-on acquisitions, PSG brings extensive investment experience, deep expertise in software and technology and a firm commitment to collaborating with management teams. Founded in 2014, PSG operates out of offices in Boston, Kansas City, London, Paris, Madrid and Tel-Aviv. To learn more about PSG, visit www.psgequity.com .
About Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
TX-DENTALMONITORING18.5.2022 22:12:08 CEST | Press release
Dental Monitoring Launches the Virtual Practice Platform for a Comprehensive, Life-Long Patient Experience
ALIGN18.5.2022 17:13:06 CEST | Press release
Align Announces Additional Leadership for UK and EMEA to Support Continued Growth
CA-RMS18.5.2022 16:32:04 CEST | Press release
RMS Advances Climate Risk Modeling and Moves More Models to High Definition
MA-VERTEX-PHARMACEUTICAL18.5.2022 16:32:04 CEST | Press release
Suketu Upadhyay Elected to Vertex Board of Directors
TECNOTREE18.5.2022 16:21:11 CEST | Press release
Tecnotree Awarded as 'Change-maker of the year' by the Helsinki Stock Exchange Foundation
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom