What's More Important than Sex, Chocolate or Alcohol? Wi-Fi, According to a New iPass Report
Mobile professionals are addicted to Wi-Fi; connectivity impacts their hotel, airline and other travel choices
REDWOOD SHORES, CA--(Marketwired - Nov 15, 2016) - iPass Inc.
Key findings include:
- 40 percent of respondents chose Wi-Fi as their number one daily essential, designating it as a higher priority than sex (37 percent), chocolate (14 percent) and alcohol (9 percent)
- 75 percent of respondents said that Wi-Fi has improved their quality of life
- 63 percent of respondents prefer using Wi-Fi hotspots over mobile data
- 75 percent of respondents said data is more important than minutes when choosing a cellular contract
"We all want to stay connected and productive in our personal and professional lives. Mobile professionals, in particular, expect to remain connected at all times, whether at home, travelling between client meetings, at their hotel or even inflight," said Patricia Hume, chief commercial officer of iPass. "We all want Wi-Fi first, because of faster speeds, lower prices and the better user experience it affords. And with the population of global mobile workers standing well over one billion, employers should be prepared to meet the demands of their employees, by providing them with the connectivity they desire."
Wi-Fi influences travel choices
For mobile professionals who don't want to be stung by data bills or exorbitant roaming charges, Wi-Fi has become a travel essential, influencing hotel, airport and other travel choices.
- 72 percent of respondents have chosen a hotel based on the Wi-Fi experience, with 21 percent saying they do so all the time.
- 35 percent stated the Wi-Fi experience has influenced their choice of airline.
- 72 percent use free Wi-Fi at airports if it is available.
- 73 percent of respondents have never paid for airport Wi-Fi for professional use, and this number rises to 78 percent for personal use.
"The Wi-Fi experience is increasingly affecting mobile professionals' travel choices, even at 30,000 feet, with more than a third of respondents having selected their airline based on its Wi-Fi connectivity offerings. Long gone are the days when Wi-Fi was only a 'nice-to-have' at airports and inflight. Mobile professionals are no longer content to sit and wait for their flights. Instead, they want to remain productive or simply unwind during this valuable time," continued Hume.
Companies find safe mobile usage policies difficult to enforce
The survey also highlights the extent to which mobile security remains the biggest obstacle to the use of free Wi-Fi and illustrates the difficulties companies have enforcing safe mobile use policies:
- One in two mobile professionals stated their company allows them to use a personal device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.) to access corporate data/systems via public or remote Wi-Fi.
- 66 percent of mobile professionals said they were worried about data security when using free Wi-Fi hotspots.
- However, 42 percent will still access company data using public Wi-Fi.
- 38 percent of respondents have never used a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to protect their data.
- Only 9 percent list corporate data loss as one of their main fears if their device were to be lost or stolen. By comparison, six times as many respondents were likely to be worried about losing contact information (57 percent) and almost half (49 percent) feared losing their photos.
"Unfortunately, the priorities of companies and their employees seem to be worlds apart. Employees have vast troves of valuable data on their smartphones, but are considerably less concerned about losing sensitive corporate data than they are about losing their personal information. It's clear that companies still need to do a lot more to educate their employees regarding mobile security risks and provide robust safe usage guidelines. Ultimately, in today's Wi-Fi first world, mobile professionals need to be equipped with the tools they need to remain productive wherever they are, while ensuring the use of public Wi-Fi doesn't expose their corporate data to ever-growing security risks," concluded Hume.
This report is based on information obtained from more than 1,700 respondents to an iPass survey of mobile professionals. Survey respondents were asked about their connectivity habits, preferences and expectations, and were asked to provide opinions about their level of dependence on mobile connectivity.
The survey was conducted between August 12, 2016 and August 31, 2016, fielding responses from mobile professionals across multiple age groups and geographies. Sixty percent of respondents came from North America, and 40 percent were from European countries. Responses were examined by region, age range and gender.
iPass® is a registered trademark of iPass Inc. Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
Tel: 020 7436 0420
KCSA Strategic Communications
Kirsten Chapman / Becky Herrick
LHA Investor Relations
Information om Marketwired
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Marketwired
Skriv dig op her og modtag pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Marketwired
Bombardier Transportation28.5.2018 18:18 | pressemeddelelse
Bombardier Presents the New TRAXX DC3 Locomotive
Bombardier Transportation15.5.2018 02:51 | pressemeddelelse
Bombardier's Real-Time Passenger Load Display Software Solution Launches in Singapore
Bombardier Inc.3.5.2018 22:49 | pressemeddelelse
Bombardier Announces the Election of its Board of Directors, Pays Tribute to Former CEO and Chairman Laurent Beaudoin
Bombardier Inc.3.5.2018 14:04 | pressemeddelelse
Bombardier Reports First Quarter 2018 Results, Announces Sale of Downsview Property and plans for new Centre of Excellence for Global Aircraft
Bombardier Inc.2.5.2018 16:22 | pressemeddelelse
REMINDER/Media Advisory: Bombardier to Report its First Quarter 2018 Financial Results and to Hold its Annual Meeting of Shareholders on Thursday, May 3
Bombardier Inc.23.4.2018 22:11 | pressemeddelelse
Media Advisory: Bombardier to Report its First Quarter 2018 Financial Results and to Hold its Annual Meeting of Shareholders on Thursday, May 3
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum