Leading specialists in iron deficiency convene at the largest global multi-disciplinary educational event dedicated to the topic (3rd European Iron Academy)
The 3rd European Iron Academy (EIA) will take place on the 12th and 13th September 2016 in Berlin, Germany, and will bring together over 450 clinicians with an interest in iron deficiency. Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional disorder in the world and is the leading cause of anaemia2 . The condition occurs frequently across multiple therapeutic areas e.g. in patients with chronic diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, heart failure and chronic kidney disease3 . In such conditions, inadequately managed iron deficiency has been associated with poor patient outcomes, including increased hospitalisations, reduced quality of life and even higher mortality rates4-7 .
The 3rd EIA has the goal of further raising awareness of iron deficiency and stimulating discussion amongst peers, helping them to better understand the causes, the need for improved diagnosis and the current treatment options for their patients. The 2016 programme offers delegates the opportunity to tailor the sessions to their own clinical interests/areas of expertise; engage in interactive patient case scenarios and breakout sessions; and discuss current standards in iron deficiency management with experts in Q&A-style sessions. The 3rd EIA is accredited by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME) to provide participants with CME credits, and is supported by an educational grant from Vifor Pharma.
“We are delighted to be running the 3rd European Iron Academy this year, which specifically addresses the need for continuing medical education on iron deficiency,” said Professor Stefan Anker (Germany), EIA 2016 co-Chair and Professor of Innovative Clinical Trials at the University Medical Center Göttingen, Germany. “This year’s programme will review the latest data relating to the diagnosis and treatment of iron deficiency within a number of key therapy areas, including cardiology, gastroenterology, nephrology and haematology.”
The EIA will use an all-encompassing approach to education and to improving patient outcomes in many disease areas.
About the European Iron Academy
The European Iron Academy is an independent educational event developed and organised by a Steering Committee of international experts in iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia, which will bring together medical specialists with the aim of achieving the following objectives related to the topic:
- Convey the latest knowledge in iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia
- Discuss safety and best practice in the treatment
- Discuss the global burden, prevalence and real-world impact across different specialties
- Share practical clinical experiences across different specialities and treatment settings
This year’s EIA will build on the successes of previous Iron Academy meetings, which were annually held at the national-level in Switzerland since 2008, and the 2nd EIA, held in Paris in March 2015. For more information about this year’s EIA and the previous two meetings, please visit: http://europeanironacademy.org/
About Vifor Pharma
Vifor Pharma, a company of the Galenica Group, is a world leader in the discovery, development, manufacturing and marketing of pharmaceutical products for the treatment of iron deficiency. The company also offers a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines as well as over-the-counter (OTC) products. Vifor Pharma, headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, has an increasingly global presence and a broad network of affiliates and partners around the world. For more information about Vifor Pharma, please visit www.viforpharma.com .
1. Unicef http://www.unicef.org/nutrition/23964_iron.html Last accessed: 10 November 2014
2. Kassebaum J. The Global Burden of Anemia. Hematol Oncol Clin N Am. 30, 247–308, doi:10.1016/j.hoc.2015.11.002 (2016).
3. Donovan, A., Roy, C. N. & Andrews, N. C. The ins and outs of iron homeostasis. Physiology 21, 115-123, doi:10.1152/physiol.00052.2005 (2006).
4. Lopez, A et al. Iron deficiency anaemia. The Lancet. 27, 387(10021), doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60865-0 (2016).
5. Koduru, P & Abraham, BP The role of ferric carboxymaltose in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia in patients with gastrointestinal diseases. Therapeutic advances in Gastroenterology. 9, 76–85, doi:10.1177/1756283X15616577 (2016).
6. Jankowska, EA et al. Effects of intravenous iron therapy in iron-deficient patients with systolic heart failure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. European Journal of Heart Failure. 18, 786-95, doi:10.1002/ejhf.473 (2016).
7. Nuñez, J et al. Iron deficiency and risk of early readmission following a hospitalization for acute heart failure. European Journal of Heart Failure. 18, 798-802, doi:10.1002/ejhf.513 (2016).
Madano for European Iron Academy
Dr Reghu Venkatesan
Telephone: +44 (0)20 3595 2590
Information om Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
Skrive dig op her og du vil løbende modtage pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
CA-THREATMETRIX18.12.2017 14:02 | pressemeddelelse
ThreatMetrix Exceeds 45% Annual Growth as Organizations Embrace Digital Identity as Must-Have Technology
DWC-3.018.12.2017 11:56 | pressemeddelelse
DWC Secures € 10,8 M From GEM Global
EURID18.12.2017 11:02 | pressemeddelelse
EURid Hosts Green Discussion Panel at The 2017 Internet Governance Forum in Geneva
BEARINGPOINT18.12.2017 10:02 | pressemeddelelse
BearingPoint Achieves Platinum Status in the Salesforce Consulting Partner Program
SES/TIMOR-TELECOM18.12.2017 08:57 | pressemeddelelse
Timor Telecom Enhances International Voice Connections in Timor-Leste Through SES Networks
STEEPER-ENERGY18.12.2017 08:02 | pressemeddelelse
Steeper Energy Announces EUR 50.6 M (DKK 377 M) Advanced Biofuel Project with Norwegian-Swedish joint venture Silva Green Fuel in Licensing Deal
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum