Experts Call For New Strategies to Address Diabetes in Obese Patients
Ethicon, the medical devices subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, is committed to leading the way in resolving the burden of obesity for both patients and healthcare systems around the world, by expanding access and demonstrating the critical value of treatment.
As strong supporters of evidenced-based treatment, Ethicon welcomes the publication of new research suggesting that surgery could play an important role in the treatment of patients suffering with type 2 diabetes. New guidelines1 , published in DiabetesCare , and presented at a podium presentation during the recent Annual American Diabetes Association (ADA) Scientific Sessions, state that metabolic surgery should be considered for the treatment of type 2 diabetes in patients with obesity (BMI >30 kg/m2 or > 27.5 for patients of Asian descent) when hyper-glycaemia is inadequately controlled by lifestyle and optimal medical therapy. The guidelines are endorsed by 45 worldwide societies (30 medical and 15 surgical organizations) at the time of publication, including the International Diabetes Federation, American Diabetes Association and Diabetes UK.
The guidelines are supported by mechanistic and clinical evidence including 11 randomized clinical trials. In further support for these conclusions, the final, five year follow up data from the STAMPEDE2 (Surgical Treatment and Medications Potentially Eradicate Diabetes Efficiently) clinical trial, reinforces the role of surgery for the treatment of obese patients with type 2 diabetes. The findings, which were discussed during the European Obesity Summit (EOS) in Gothenburg this month, show that bariatric surgery's beneficial effects on blood glucose control in mild and moderately obese patients with type 2 diabetes may persist for up to five years. Furthermore, patients who received bariatric surgery were more able to control their type 2 diabetes over time compared with intensive medical therapy alone.
Speaking at the symposium, Dr. Francesco Rubino, Professor of surgery and Chair of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, King’s College London commented: “While prevention of diabetes remains crucial, patients with established disease should have access to effective treatment options; evidence has now proved that surgery can be the best option for some people with type 2 diabetes.” He continued: “The DSS-II guidelines are a real game changer because they effectively establish surgery, for the first time, as a standard diabetes treatment option. This conclusion is endorsed by 45 worldwide organizations, an unprecedented level of consensus in the medical community.”
The symposium also focused attention on a report3 developed in collaboration with the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), which studied the current national and EU-level approaches to obesity policy, identifying weaknesses in current efforts across Europe.
“A more holistic and cost effective strategy is needed to tackle obesity.” said Silvia De Dominicis, Ethicon Franchise VP EMEA. “What’s important now is that the member states of Europe collectively recognize that those suffering from obesity should be treated as patients. We hope that this latest research helps to initiate a critical dialogue with policymakers in order to help shape the future of obesity management. It’s time to act.”
Obesity and metabolic disease have reached pandemic proportions, as nearly 30 percent of the world’s population – 2.1 billion people – are overweight or obese4 . As obesity rates have increased, so have those for type 2 diabetes, and 25-27 percent of the obese population has type 2 diabetes5 . In Europe, it is now estimated that 20 percent of the adult population is obese,6 and this has significant economic implications too, with more than €33 billion annual health care costs being attributed to obesity.7
- Ends -
Notes to editor
About Ethicon : From creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures, Ethicon* has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world’s most pressing healthcare issues, and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon’s surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats, and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. Learn more at www.ethicon.com , and follow us on Twitter @Ethicon.
* Ethicon represents the products and services of Johnson & Johnson Medical Limited, Ethicon Endo-Surgery (Europe) GmbH and certain of their affiliates.
1. Rubino F, et al. Metabolic Surgery in the Treatment Algorithm for Type 2 Diabetes: A Joint Statement by International Diabetes Organizations. Diabetes Care June 2016;39:861–877
2. Bariatric Surgery Still Tops Meds for Glycemic Control at 5 Years: STAMPEDE. Medscape . Apr 14, 2016
3. Economist Intelligence Unit. 2015. Confronting Obesity in Europe: Taking action to change the default setting. Available at http://www.eiu.com/industry/article/733713257/white-paper---confronting-obesity-in-europe/2015-11-26
4. Dobbs, R., Sawers, C., Thompson, F., Manyika, J., Woetzel, J., Child, P., McKenna, S., Spatharou, A. (2014, November 1). How the world could better fight obesity. Available at http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/economic_studies/how_the_world_could_better_fight_obesity .
5. Bays HE, Chapman RH, Grandy S. The relationship of body mass index to diabetes mellitus, hypertension and dyslipidaemia: comparison of data from two national surveys. International Journal of Clinical Practice ,61(5), 737–747. 2007. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2007.01336.x
6. World Health Organization Health Topics. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/obesity/data-and-statistics pulled 5/10/2016
7. Fry J, Finley W. The prevalence and costs of obesity in the EU. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 2005;64:359-362
© 2016 Ethicon Endo-Surgery (Europe) GmbH 054476-160608 EMEA
Information om Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
Skrive dig op her og du vil løbende modtage pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
CA-INTEGRAL23.1.2018 23:02 | pressemeddelelse
Integral Expands Cryptocurrency Market Data Services to Include 14 Cryptocurrencies and 16 Exchanges
VISTA-GROUP23.1.2018 22:59 | pressemeddelelse
Kimbal Riley to Become Vista Group CEO
NY-INTERNATIONAL-FLAVORS23.1.2018 18:03 | pressemeddelelse
IFF Breaks Ground on Flavors/Fragrances Site in Sri City, India
CO-OPTIV-SECURITY23.1.2018 15:07 | pressemeddelelse
Optiv Security Names Simon Church as General Manager and Executive Vice President, Europe; Accelerates International Growth Strategy with Expansion in Europe
CALLDORADO-APS23.1.2018 15:02 | pressemeddelelse
Ad-tech Company Calldorado Acquires App Publishing House CIAmedia
LEGO-EDUCATION23.1.2018 15:02 | pressemeddelelse
LEGO® Education Launches New Maker Activities for Schools
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum