Crystal Blockchain: Peer-to-Peer Exchanges Need Regulation to Lower Money Laundering Risk
At the V20 Summit in November 2020, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) announced that regulatory requirements for peer-to-peer (P2P) exchanges – along the lines of those for Virtual Asset Service Providers (VASPs) – will likely emerge in 2021 to combat money laundering (ML). The FATF is now collecting data on these exchanges to allow their guidelines to reflect P2Ps.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210203005351/en/
The Crystal team did a YoY analysis of P2P transaction activity to see whether the FATF's intentions to bring tighter regulations has affected the amount of bitcoin transferred via these decentralized exchanges from January 2019 to December 2020.
- Sent and received amounts (in US dollar) by P2P exchanges in December 2020 increased by +164% and +197% compared to January 2019.
- Received and sent amounts (in bitcoin) in December 2020 decreased by -55% and -50%, compared with January 2019.
- The main reason for the disparity is that while the price of bitcoin has grown 6X between January 2019 and December 2020, the popularity of P2P exchanges has declined.
- The amounts sent and received in bitcoin by P2P exchanges rapidly dropped in November and December 2020, and this is most likely due to the November 2020 FATF announcement of future regulation of P2P.
- The amounts of received bitcoin by Non-P2P exchanges have had a growing trend in comparison to P2P exchanges, explained by higher popularity and a better “reputation”.
P2P exchanges may be less popular than Non-P2P thus far for a few reasons:
- less regulatory oversight from the FATF,
- more complicated operational principles,
- they might be considered potential ML platforms due to a lack of intermediaries.
That being said, innovation and developments in the P2P sector continue to rise, and as regulatory requirements increase, P2P will become a safer and more transparent space.
Compliance software for P2P transactions is being developed, and the P2P exchange sector will increase in popularity when it's possible to further manage AML and compliance risk.
Visit the Crystal website to see the full Report on P2P Transaction Volumes 2019-2020 .
About Crystal Blockchain:
Crystal is the all-in-one blockchain analytics tool for crypto AML compliance. Available as a free demo version, SaaS, API, and for on-premise installation. Engineered by the Bitfury Group.
About Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
CA-C3.AI/BAKER-HUGHES26.2.2021 15:02:05 CET | Press release
C3 AI and Baker Hughes to Provide Enterprise AI Solutions to Accelerate PETRONAS Digital Transformation Program
AVANIA26.2.2021 14:02:10 CET | Press release
Avania in Position for Next Stage of Growth
IPSEN26.2.2021 12:39:07 CET | Press release
Ipsen Receives Positive CHMP Opinion Recommending Cabometyx® in Combination With Opdivo® as First-line Treatment for Patients Living With Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
CA-ANDERSEN-GLOBAL26.2.2021 11:53:13 CET | Pressemeddelelse
Andersen Global styrker sin caribiske platform med Baptiste & Co. Law Firm
HIRO-CAPITAL26.2.2021 09:57:10 CET | Press release
Hiro Capital Leads $15 Million of Games VC Investment Into Snowprint Studios, Double Loop Games and Happy Volcano Games
INSPUR-INFORMATION26.2.2021 09:09:06 CET | Press release
Inspur Information Releases 2020 Global Computing Index Report
DE-INCYTE26.2.2021 09:02:05 CET | Press release
Incyte Announces the Validation by the European Medicines Agency of its Marketing Authorization Application for Retifanlimab as a Treatment for Patients with Squamous Cell Anal Carcinoma (SCAC)
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom