Gilead Awards More Than $22 Million in Grants to Support HIV Cure Research
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq:GILD) today announced the recipients of its HIV cure grants program, a fund totaling more than $22 million, which will support 12 new HIV cure research projects. These projects will be conducted by leading academic institutions, non-profit organizations and community groups from around the world, focusing on three key areas: translational research, efficacy studies in animal models and community perspectives of HIV cure.
“We know from decades of work addressing the issue of HIV/AIDS that there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Through partnerships with dedicated and results-driven organizations – such as the worthy recipients of our grant funding – our goal is to help in the discovery and development of a safe and effective cure,” said William Lee, PhD, Executive Vice President, Research, Gilead Sciences. “We are excited about the potential of these projects and are looking forward to seeing the results and learnings that emerge from them.”
The following institutions and corresponding projects will receive funding to complete their research over the next three years (Institution/Principal Investigator/Project Name):
- Massachusetts General Hospital – Galit Alter, Ph.D. – Development of a Novel Class of Broadly Functional Antibodies (bFAbs) That Can Kill the Viral Reservoir Within Lymphoid Sanctuaries
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center – Lawrence Corey, M.D. – Adoptive Transfer of Genetically Protected and Genetically Modified Defined Populations of CAR T Cells as a Modality to Achieve HIV-1 Cure
- Foundation for the National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, Center for Cancer Research – George N. Pavlakis, M.D., Ph.D. – Efficacy of Heterodimeric IL-15 Treatment Regimens in Reducing SIV Reservoir
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine – Robert Siliciano, M.D., Ph.D. – Measuring the Latent Reservoir for HIV
- University of Zurich, Institute of Medical Virology – Alexandra Trkola, Ph.D. – SEEK, UNCOVER and ELIMINATE: Eliciting Antiviral and Infected Cell-Directed Activities Towards a Cure of HIV-1
- Institut Pasteur – Olivier Schwartz, Ph.D. – Novel Methods to Visualize and Eliminate the HIV-1 Reservoir
- Aarhus University Hospital – Ole Schmeltz Sogaard, M.D., Ph.D. – Combining a TLR9 Agonist With Broadly Neutralizing Antibodies for Viral Reservoir Reduction and Immunological Control of HIV Infection: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial
- University of KwaZulu-Natal – Thumbi Ndung’u, Ph.D. – The FRESH Study: Females Rising Through Education, Support and Health (‘FRESH’) Acute HIV Infection Cohort
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine – Michael M. Lederman, M.D. – Reservoir Reduction with Interleukin-2 and Transcriptional Activation
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago – Amy Johnson, Ph.D. – Chicago Unites in Research to End HIV (CURE HIV)
- Project Inform – David Evans – Assuring Successful Community Participation in HIV Cure Research
- My Brother’s Keeper, Inc. – DeMarc Hickson, Ph.D. – HIV Cure Research Perception Among HIV-Infected African American MSM, and Affected Communities in the Deep American South: A Multi-Level Mixed Methods Perspective
The HIV cure grants program, initially announced in February 2016, is one of the components of Gilead’s commitment to cure and ultimately eradicate HIV and AIDS through its research and development and philanthropic leadership.
For nearly 30 years, Gilead has focused on the development of antiretroviral therapy to treat HIV/AIDS, helping transform HIV infection from a fatal and debilitating disease into a chronic, manageable condition. In further efforts to end the HIV epidemic, Gilead is conducting early-stage clinical research to identify novel agents and strategies that could play a role in eradicating HIV infection in the body.
In addition to the funding of these grants, Gilead was recently announced as one of the foremost corporate providers of philanthropic support to address HIV/AIDS by the Funders Concerned About AIDS (FCAA) organization.
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company’s mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases. Gilead has operations in more than 30 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.
For more information on Gilead Sciences, please visit the company’s website at www.gilead.com , follow Gilead on Twitter (@GileadSciences) or call Gilead Public Affairs at 1-800-GILEAD-5 or 1-650-574-3000
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Nick Francis, 650-522-5674
Sung Lee, 650-524-7792
Information om Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
Skrive dig op her og du vil løbende modtage pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
CA-INTEGRAL23.1.2018 23:02 | pressemeddelelse
Integral Expands Cryptocurrency Market Data Services to Include 14 Cryptocurrencies and 16 Exchanges
VISTA-GROUP23.1.2018 22:59 | pressemeddelelse
Kimbal Riley to Become Vista Group CEO
NY-INTERNATIONAL-FLAVORS23.1.2018 18:03 | pressemeddelelse
IFF Breaks Ground on Flavors/Fragrances Site in Sri City, India
CO-OPTIV-SECURITY23.1.2018 15:07 | pressemeddelelse
Optiv Security Names Simon Church as General Manager and Executive Vice President, Europe; Accelerates International Growth Strategy with Expansion in Europe
CALLDORADO-APS23.1.2018 15:02 | pressemeddelelse
Ad-tech Company Calldorado Acquires App Publishing House CIAmedia
LEGO-EDUCATION23.1.2018 15:02 | pressemeddelelse
LEGO® Education Launches New Maker Activities for Schools
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum