Limelight’s Latest ‘State of Online Video’ Report Shows Consumers Increasingly Watch Online Video Content on Their Own Terms
The shift in consumer online video viewing habits is changing rapidly, according the latest survey of more than 1,200 consumers from Limelight Networks, Inc. , (Nasdaq:LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery.
According to the second semi-annual “The State of Online Video” report released today, more than 83 percent of consumers watch on-demand video, an increase of four percent since April 2015. The percentage of consumers watching four or more hours of on-demand video a week increased to more than 36 percent as compared to 30 percent in April 2015. Among Millennials, the greatest jump is in those that watch 10 or more hours of video per week (nearly 20 percent vs. 15 percent in April 2015), perhaps a tell-tale sign they are binge-watching more often than their counterparts in different demographics.
How are consumers watching on-demand video? A growing number are doing so on their TV, either through apps on Smart TVs or connected devices such as Roku, Apple TV, Xbox One or Sony PS4. This creates a challenge for content providers – ensuring broadcast quality to many devices – as consumers will abandon an on-demand video if the quality is poor.
Millennials Continue Driving Change in Online Video Consumption
The latest Limelight survey includes significant insight into the perceptions and behaviors of the Millennial generation with regards to the consumption of TV programming and online video. In addition to the fact that Millennials consume more video per week than other groups, it also revealed the following:
- Millennials are far more likely to subscribe to over-the-top (OTT) services. When asked how many online services such as Netflix and Hulu to which they currently subscribe, more than 40 percent of Millennials subscribe to at least one vs. 32 percent of older generations. In addition, 31 percent of Millennials subscribe to two or more OTT services as compared to 18 percent of older counterparts.
- Cord-cutting is increasingly driven by content availability. In its April 2015 survey, Limelight found most consumers would terminate their pay and cable TV services “because the price keeps going up.” The latest survey showed this is changing, with access to content—getting the content directly from content owners, live events more prevalent online, and content availability via antenna— becoming more of a factor than it was in the past.
- Millennial patience with video buffering may be waning. As compared to April 2015, Limelight found a 35 percent increase in the number of respondents who would abandon a video after only one buffering event, indicating an erosion of patience for video interruptions.
Additional key findings revealed in the report include:
- Apps on Smart TVs are the go-to source for viewing video on the television. Despite the rash of OTT devices on the market giving consumers more choices than ever for how they watch their online video content on their televisions, the Smart TV still represents the device that most consumers use for watching OTT content.
- When it comes to OTT devices, Xbox is leading the market with Sony close behind. Based on survey responses, the Xbox is clearly leading the market for “multi-function OTT devices” at 28 percent, followed by Sony’s PS4 at 23 percent and Apple TV at 16 percent. The survey also included the new Amazon Fire TV Stick, which achieved 8 percent of market share, just slightly behind Roku at 11 percent.
- Fewer people are sharing video online, and Facebook’s lead is shrinking. As compared to April, people who said they do not share video online increased by 20 percent. For those who did share, those using Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest declined, while YouTube held steady.
“The world of online video is anything but predictable,” said Jason Thibeault, senior director of marketing at Limelight. “Even in the few months between our April and December studies, we have seen a significant shift in how people choose to consume content. Organizations trying to take advantage of this changing landscape—from traditional broadcast to online video—must keep in mind how easily things shift as operational and business flexibility is paramount to achieving success.”
The “State of the Online Video” report is based on a survey that collected data from 1,271 consumers chosen at random located in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia, aged 18-69. For a complete look, download the report here .
Limelight Networks Inc., (NASDAQ: LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery, empowers customers to better engage online audiences by enabling them to securely manage and globally deliver digital content, on any device. The company’s award winning Limelight Orchestrate™ platform includes an integrated suite of content delivery technology and services that helps organizations secure digital content, deliver exceptional multi-screen experiences, improve brand awareness, drive revenue, and enhance customer relationships — all while reducing costs. For more information, please visit www.limelight.com , read our blog , follow us on Twitter , Facebook and LinkedIn and be sure to visit Limelight Connect .
Information om Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Følg pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
Skrive dig op her og du vil løbende modtage pressemeddelelser på mail. Indtast din mail, klik på abonner og følg instruktionerne i den udsendte mail.
Flere pressemeddelelser fra Business Wire
TAN-DELTA23.11.2017 14:40 | pressemeddelelse
Tan Delta: New Oil Condition Monitoring Kit for Gas Engine Operators Reduces Daily Operating Costs, Improves Equipment Efficiency and Extends Equipment Life.
INSTITUT-CURIE23.11.2017 14:02 | pressemeddelelse
Making Institut Curie a Reference for Technology Transfer in Oncology
WEALTH-DYNAMIX23.11.2017 09:02 | pressemeddelelse
Wealth Dynamix (WDX) Ranks No.18 in the 2017 Tech Track 100 by the Sunday Times and 19th Fastest Growing Technology Company in the UK in the 2017 Deloitte Technology Fast 50
MOBIDIAG-LTD23.11.2017 08:02 | pressemeddelelse
Mobidiag Signs Agreement with Interlux for the Distribution of Amplidiag® Diagnostic Tests and Instruments in Estonia
OCP-S.A.22.11.2017 18:01 | pressemeddelelse
OCP Announces Date of 2017 Third Quarter and Nine Month Results
TATA-MOTORS22.11.2017 15:48 | pressemeddelelse
Tata Motors Charts Out 'Connecting Aspirations' As Its New Corporate Brand Identity in Global Markets
I vores nyhedsrum kan du læse alle vores pressemeddelelser, tilgå materiale i form af billeder og dokumenter, og finde vores kontaktoplysninger.Besøg vores nyhedsrum