Aerogen® and CanSinoBIO agree on landmark development and commercial supply partnership for world’s first inhaled Covid-19 vaccine delivery
Following months of collaborative development work, Aerogen ® (Galway, Ireland) and CanSinoBIO (SSE: 688185, HKEX: 06185) (Tianjin, China) have announced a development and commercial supply partnership for the inhaled delivery of CanSinoBIO’s Recombinant Novel Coronavirus Vaccine Convidecia™ utilizing Aerogen’s proprietary vibrating mesh aerosol drug delivery technology.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211208006016/en/
The aerosolised vaccine is directly inhaled via a cup dispenser into the patient’s airway. This route mimics the natural infection pathway of the respiratory virus COVID-19 and may create additional benefits through generating mucosal immunity.
The interim results of Phase 3 clinical trials conducted by CanSinoBIO demonstrated that Convidecia™ has an efficacy of 95.47% at preventing severe disease 14 days after single-dose vaccination.1
Inoculation by the inhaled aerosol route requires a considerably smaller volume of vaccine to be used and therefore provides the capacity to allow a much larger number of patients to cost-effectively access the CanSinoBIO vaccine than would have been possible using an injectable approach.2
John Power, Aerogen CEO & Founder said “The world has an urgent need for an effective, low cost, globally scalable and globally accessible solution to mass vaccination. The pioneering development undertaken by Aerogen and CanSino has resulted in a system that meets all these requirements and with a capacity to vaccinate in the billions.”
Dr. Xuefeng YU, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CanSinoBIO commented; “Our partnership with Aerogen started in 2013 and for almost a decade, we’ve been advancing the possibility of aerosol drug delivery. The innovative development on the inhaled delivery of COVID-19 vaccine is the testimony of our collaborative efforts. It is demonstrated that the aerosolised vaccine can stimulate mucosal immunity and significantly reduce the risk of transmission, which could be a solution to rapidly build mass immune protection and accelerate the end of the pandemic. ”
CanSinoBio is preparing an application for commercial authorisation in China. Further clinical trials are in the process of being prepared for other countries.
Commercial terms of the partnership have not been disclosed.
Incorporated in 2009, CanSinoBIO (SSE: 688185, HKEX: 06185) commits to research, production, and commercialization of innovative vaccines for China and global public health security. It possesses five integrated platform technologies including adenovirus-based vectors, conjugation, protein design and recombination, formulation, and mRNA. As of today, it has established a robust pipeline of 17 vaccines preventing 12 diseases, including the Recombinant Novel Coronavirus Vaccine (Adenovirus Type 5 Vector) conditionally approved in 2021 and the Group A and Group C Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (CRM197) approved in the same year.
Aerogen is the world leader in acute care aerosol drug delivery. The Aerogen Solo is a closed-system, single-patient-use aerosol drug delivery technology3 that mitigates the transmission of patient-generated infectious aerosol during ventilation4-9 . As the only globally available closed-circuit system, Aerogen technology has been used to treat over 14 million patients in 75 countries worldwide, playing a critical role in emergency departments and intensive care units10 .
- NMPA Accepts the Application for Conditional Marketing Authorization of CanSinoBIO’s COVID-19 Vaccine ConvideciaTM. http://www.cansinotech.com/html/1/179/180/651.html
- Heida R, Hinrichs WL, Frijlink HW. Inhaled vaccine delivery in the combat against respiratory viruses: a 2021 overview of recent developments and implications for COVID-19 [published online ahead of print, 2021 Aug 25]. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2021;1-18
- Aerogen Solo System Instruction Manual. Aerogen Ltd. P/N 30-354, Revision U.
- Ari A. Practical strategies for a safe and effective delivery of aerosolized medications to patients with COVID-19. Respir. Med. 2020; 167. doi:10.1016/j.rmed.2020.105987.
- Miller A, Epstein D. Safe bronchodilator treatment in mechanically ventilated COVID19 patients: A single center experience. J. Crit. Care. 2020; 58: 56–57.
- Fink JB, Ehrmann S, Li J, Dailey P, McKiernan P, Darquenne C et al. Reducing Aerosol-Related Risk of Transmission in the Era of COVID-19: An Interim Guidance Endorsed by the International Society of Aerosols in Medicine. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 2020. doi:10.1089/jamp.2020.1615.
- Halpin DMG, Criner GJ, Papi A, Singh D, Anzueto A, Martinez FJ et al. Global Initiative for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease: The 2020 GOLD Science Committee Report on COVID-19 & COPD. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2020. doi:10.1164/rccm.202009-3533SO.
- O’Toole C, McGrath JA, Joyce M, Bennett G, Byrne MA, MacLoughlin R. Fugitive Aerosol Therapy Emissions during Mechanical Ventilation: In Vitro Assessment of the Effect of Tidal Volume and Use of Protective Filters. Aerosol Air Qual Res 2020; 20. doi:10.4209/aaqr.2020.04.0176.
- Joyce M, McGrath JA, Mac Giolla Eain M, O’Sullivan A, Byrne M, MacLoughlin R. Nebuliser Type Influences Both Patient-Derived Bioaerosol Emissions and Ventilation Parameters during Mechanical Ventilation. Pharmaceutics 2021; 13: 199.
- Aerogen internal data on File.
About Business Wire
101 California Street, 20th Floor
CA 94111 San Francisco
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
TX-SAFEGUARD-GLOBAL27.1.2022 13:09:03 CET | Press release
Safeguard Global Acquires Global Upside to Expand Reach and Offerings for Companies Growing and Operating Globally
ABB27.1.2022 12:02:10 CET | Press release
ABB Acquires Controlling Interest in InCharge Energy, Strengthening its EV Charging Solutions in the U.S.
IDENFY27.1.2022 10:49:14 CET | Press release
How difficult was the journey of iDenfy?
OLA27.1.2022 10:02:07 CET | Press release
Ola Announces Futurefoundry
ADVA27.1.2022 09:02:14 CET | Press release
Terralpha harnesses ADVA TeraFlex™ for 600G transport throughout France
CA-XSOLLA/PAYTM-INDIA27.1.2022 08:58:04 CET | Press release
Xsolla Expands Into India With Paytm Payment Gateway to Help Developers Sell Games to the India Market
WA-SPIE-PHOTONICS-WEST27.1.2022 07:12:03 CET | Press release
2022 SPIE and Photonics Media Prism Awards Celebrate Innovative Photonics Technologies
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom